How often do you load up on potatoes as they are sold in bulk in supermarkets, then end up tossing most of them?
Bin no more! Chef Eric Low from Lush Epicurean consultancy and SideChef share with us 2 easy-peasy potato recipes.
Don’t feel like cooking? Swap leftover potatoes with your friends instead to help save up to 10,000 tonnes of food in a year! Learn more here.
1. Classic Fluffy Mashed Potatoes (4 portions)
Adapted from SideChef
3 oz Salted Butter
3/4 cup Milk
1 tsp Baking Powder
to taste Salt
to taste Ground Black Pepper
- Wash and peel Potato and cut into quarters. Place in a bowl of water and leave to soak for 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and place in a large pot. Cover by about 3 inches with cold water. Add a generous sprinkle of salt.
- Bring to the boil and cook until potatoes are tender when poked with a fork, about 45 minutes. When potatoes are done, drain in a colander in a sink.
- While still hot, mash the potatoes with a potato masher or ricer.Heat the milk and salted butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, until butter is melted.
- Sprinkle the Baking Powder over the mashed potatoes. Pour the hot milk and butter mixture over the mashed potatoes. Mix until combined.
Season mashed potatoes with salt and black pepper and serve
2. Gratin Potatoes with Wild Mushrooms Ragout and Truffle Oil (2 portions)
4 large Idaho/Dutch Potatoes
1/4 tsp Salt
½ tsp Coarse Ground Black Pepper
Oil for cooking
50g Mozzarella Cheese
1 tsp Chopped Garlic
100g Fresh Shitake Mushrooms
100g Chopped Onions
2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
1/2 tsp Salt
- Slice the peeled potatoes thinly. Season with salt and pepper. Pre heat oven to 180C
- Melt butter, sauté garlic, chopped onions and mushrooms till fragrant. Add the fresh thyme.
- Pour in the cream and bring to simmer. Reduce until slightly thicken and season with salt
- Heat 3tbs of oil in a non-stick pan. Spread a layer of sliced potatoes over the pan and add some mushroom ragout.Repeat and layer until the potatoes and mushrooms are used up.
Add the cheese over the potatoes. Bake the potatoes in oven for 20minutes. Serve hot.